Tuesday, May 6, 2008

lifeworks

i'm with jvo at a web 2.0 seminar in nashville, which raises some funny issues for me about life and ministry and the movement of god within.

one of the big ones? i still don't feel like i can be totally honest on a blog...just like i don't feel like i can be totally honest with most people.

by honest, btw, i don't mean i'm deceitful...just that i keep much of my thinking to myself. i try and keep my opinions to myself (by and large) because i'm naturally a contrarian, a deconstructionist, and an iconoclast.

most people, however, don't have the appropriate framework for understanding the ideologically desctructive fervor of their pastor; and, often, my thoughts end up being hurtful to people when i share them, rather than purely purifying in the realm of ideas, philosophies, theologies, and community dynamics.

anyways...i'm blogging my reservations about blogging while at a seminar about blogging so that i don't fully engage the material on blogging with which i wrestle philosophically (though, for now, i'll keep some of those thoughts to myself).

2 comments:

  1. I salute your restraint regarding blogging! You should never feel bad about NOT thinking out loud, in public, for all the world to read. Having restraint regarding what what you publish is a positive character trait that I applaud!

    Keeping private thoughts and musings in their rightful place is not deceitful. Yet, I realize that in this age of "authenticity" there are those who would lead us to believe that, to be authentic, we have to open our private thoughts for the world to see. I don't agree. That is why God gave us the ability to think without talking. And, by the way, (while I'm blogging my own opinions for all to see) authenticity is one of those terms whose definition is in flux in our relativistic, politically correct world. Society is redefining the term as we watch. I tend to think it should be about character, but that doesn't seem to be how society defines it at the moment.

    Some bloggers spew every thought that comes to mind without thinking about how their thoughts will be received... in the name of being authentic. To me this simply projects their narcissistic attitude that just because they blogged it it becomes true, factual, or something greater than their opinion. It doesn't. Some bloggers act as though blogging empowers them to project thoughts that may be offensive or hurtful simply because they have the ability to type them. What about all that wisdom scripture about the effects of what we say? Shouldn't we apply them to blogging?

    I encourage you to resist the pressure to conform to the expectations of others (including seminars) that tell you what you have to do to be a non-comformist!

    As a pastor you are saddled with the burden of great influence and living your life in public view. The glass house thing... You are already being authentic by being true and honest. The blogging world only has a right to know what you want to show it after it goes through the filter of your character and wisdom!

    TJM

    ReplyDelete
  2. maybe not obvious, but still true, that most pastors have a small circle of friends/confidants in their community. and you are very rigtht it could be alarming for many - maybe myself too, to know whats in your head.
    with that said, i feel ww has missed the boat (myself included) in "be-friending" you pastor and brother. i have been musing that i would like to hang out with you for some time (b'fast or lunch). not so much to become ur bosom buddy or get into ur inner-circle but to get to know you more and for you to know how much i appreciate you and your family.

    ReplyDelete